February 02 2008
The Spice Girls have cancelled their world tour after just two months of performances and two continents amid reports of poor ticket sales.
So far, they have performed in the UK, Canada, the US and in Madrid and Cologne in Europe.
But instead of playing dates in Australia, Argentina, and China the five will finish the reunion tour in Toronto on February 26.
However, despite citing family commitments as their reason for cutting the tour short, sources close to the group say the two Mels did not want to continue.
After they were presented with a new tour schedule the friend said to the Daily Mirror: “Mel B wasn’t having any of it. She misses her husband and children and said she couldn’t go on. She’s also been flooded with US offers after her success on Dancing With Stars.
“Mel C agreed it was time to call it a day. She was the least excited about it. She also feared it might jeopardise her solo career.”
Officially, a spokesman for the girls said: “Sadly the tour needs to come to an end by the end of February due to family and personal commitments for Emma, Geri, Mel B, Melanie C and Victoria.
“It was announced in June that, as well as the Europe and the US, the girls planned to visit Australia, China, South Africa and Argentina.
“Due to the phenomenal demand for tickets in the UK and the US along with the touring logistics for such a massive production it was not possible to fit everything in.
“As the girls return to normal family life and the kids go back to school they are reviewing all the options. Who knows what the future might bring.”
The Spice Girls said: “We’ve had such an amazing time over the last three months.
“It’s been incredible being back together and seeing our fans again.
“We want to thank everyone who came to see us. It was all so mad the first time round, so we’ve really been able to appreciate it properly this time.
“There have been so many highlights and good times that we know it will be hard to be apart after Toronto.
“Really sorry if we didn’t get to see you this time round. We all have other commitments in our lives now but who knows what will happen next.”
The tour was originally meant to last until June but the dates in Cape Town, Buenos Aires, Beijing and Sydney were first cancelled apparently so the group could play extra nights in London. They had not been rescheduled.
The spokesman told the Mail then: “The plan is for these dates to happen.”
But last night the spokesman admitted: “The decision came out of America. The girls want to get back to their families – it’s not about lack of demand.
“Sorry – we appear to have been duped.”